Thursday 28 October 2010

The Woofer and his ball!

Wednesday morning saw further practising of the 'pass and say hi' exercise.  This is to help Sonny to desensitise to coming into close proximity with other dogs and their owners.  Next we move onto the 'startle exercise' of Sonny getting used to people suddenly appearing from behind bushes at him.  Part of Sonny's hyper vigilance when he is out on walks results in him being particularly jumpy around narrow openings, successfully mirrored of course by his erstwhile owner. We are Siamese twins when it comes to tracking danger, as Sally keeps reminding me (I have to say with endless patience!)  Of course now it is relatively easy with Sally and Rocky as I pretty much trust him not to react adversely to either of them.  However this would not be the case at our local shopping centre where anyone coming out from a side-road could be anything from a small child to an elderly adult, all of which I studiously avoid if at all possible.

Next we step up the tempo and go back to the ball throwing.  Throwing for each dog individually whilst the other is on lead.  Sonny is sooooo happy when he sees the ball and the ball launcher, yes he remembers from last time.  Ball means FUN!!  I cannot describe the moment of pure joy of seeing my dog really running for the ball full pelt after so long. One of my great joys about dogs has always been their pure unbridled zest for life.  Dogs never worry about how they come across to others, how their hair looks in the morning or, whether anyone will like them.  They just ARE and how I would like to be if I had anywhere close to their sense of purpose and confidence!! This dog has hardly been able to be let off lead free running for probably the last 7 years?  This is a great moment for both of us as I am reminding of how it used to be when I could take him to the park and keep him focussed on his ball, rather than his fear of other dogs. See the video!!  However, at some point that strategy stopped working and I became too fearful to risk it any more. A little chink of light is beginning to emerge...

Rocky again today teaches me his view of Sonny's readiness to be close to him, namely, not very.  Sally notes that when he retrieves the ball for me he lies down a little way off.  Why won't he come to me?  He knows Sonny won't tolerate it, that's why.  When he gets closer that will tell us that Sonny is becoming more tolerant. Aren't dogs just amazing, they can tell us things that us humans cannot see for ourselves?  There is much to learn about this secret language of dogs and I feel like I am just at the beginning of my apprenticeship.

Sally tells me that these positive moments can be generalised to experiences with other dogs, eventually he will  have to meet other dogs and dogs with issues like him.  At present Sonny is being treated carefully.  Like royalty, he cannot be introduced to anyone without the right credentials, namely 'balanced'.  The wrong experience now could set him back.  Sally is organising 'diplomatic relations' and carefully assessing what he and I can cope with, she is not getting it wrong so far.

The finale.  Sonny and Rocky BOTH OFF LEAD racing down the field, we had debated the possibility of confrontation and decided it was a possible but acceptable risk.  Sonny is still muzzled so cannot do any damage.  Rocky is aware of Sonny's issues and is cautious in his body language and proximity.  Off they go, Sonny tearing along, beside another dog, both off lead both excited.  Recipe for disaster?  No, Sonny recognises he can't pick it up so doesn't try but careers back to me full pelt.  He looks so alive and I am sooooo proud of him and tell him so, he looks at me with those melting soft eyes and gives me his paw.  Doing great isn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment