Friday 15 October 2010

Dogs are like kids really...

I had a bit of an epiphany today, I was thinking about what it's like for children when their parents are very anxious.  Children need parents to tell them that the world is an OK place to be, otherwise they develop fears and anxieties, picking up on the parent's body language and behaviour.  So then, it's the same for our dogs and particularly for Sonny who is such a sensitive boy to changes in his mum's mood, flick of the leash, change in step etc.

It made me think, so I'm really not being fair to you by panicking every time I see another dog.  I've got to convince you that I'm not bothered about it.  You may react because the other dog is the feisty type, can always happen but at least if I don't tune into it, you won't be getting that lack of confidence from me.
Today we practised this, not always successfully, I met a 15month old black lab who was also rescue, Sonny lunged, I have not even looked at the other dog but suspect he probably invited a reaction since his owner described him as a bully to another dog he previously lived with, which is why he's been re-homed.  The owner looks nervous, I stop get Sonny to sit and ask her to do the same.  I find myself going into 'dog trainer mode', explaining why we are doing what we are doing, letting our dogs know 'we are not bothered' and are not going to let them avoid one another, I'm beginning to become a bit of an evangelist, total dog bore.  But the whole thing really is fascinating.  Mission accomplished and two calmer dogs later we move on. 

Up the road a field with horses, good opportunity I think, putting Sonny in a sit and treating him whilst watching the horses on the other side of the road.  On the way back we go in closer.  The horse (fortunately  safely behind his fence) is curious and comes to us, perhaps he thinks he's going to get some treats as well.  Sonny is a bit spooked by his snorting sounds, but I reposition him, he calms down and we move on.

What I find now is I am looking for opportunities to desensitise Sonny to almost anything, loud noises, pneumatic drills. Bring it on world, I've got my treats ready.  I even took him down the 'scarey' narrow passageway where we met our West Highland friend last week, remembering Sally telling me about how dogs can begin to associate certain locations with bad things happening.  It's all good and another step on the journey....


No comments:

Post a Comment