Wednesday 13 October 2010

Diplomatic relations!

As promised today Sally and I up the anti on Sonny by taking him to an unfamiliar park where he will meet DOGS OFF LEAD!!!  This is a biggy for both of us as I am very used to avoid such situations, knowing that Sonny and therefore I, cannot cope with them.

However, today it's not raining which is a plus and after a bit of confusion about finding the venue, we manage to meet.

Sally notices that Sonny's body language is altogether more relaxed than before.  In fact, he even looked happy to get in the car for me today, a sense of anticipation that there are good things to come when I take him out in the car.  We are building up good associations with the walk.

Today there are not too many dogs about and we are in a big field which helps me because I am able to see what is coming.  We notice a particularly feisty terrier, who, Sally points out, is totally in charge of his owner and himself, in fact, he owns the field.  He takes an interest in us but does not approach immediately.  Eventually he gets bolder and starts to arch around us.  I am convinced he will make a beeline for Sonny because he will pick up on his anxiety and maybe want to put him in his place.  Apparently if you are walking with two dogs rather than one, this makes it less likely that other dogs will want to approach you, so safety in numbers is the order of the day.  The little terrier never approaches Sonny, relief.  We move on and follow another couple of dogs walking around the field, again the interest is from a distance and they do not approach us or us them.  Sonny is able to walk behind and pick up on their energy.  He is not phased, nor is he phased by walking next to Rocky because he is on lead and this has become OK.  Time to challenge him again then...


Sally decides that it is time to let Rocky off lead and see what happens, Rocky, a different dog with freedom and also on his own patch is happy and excited and approaches Sonny to say hallo.  Uh oh, Sonny launches himself, fortunately muzzled so no damage done.  Rocky has been told, get off or, else!  As usual, I am nearly pulled over in the process, perhaps I need to practice ballet to improve my balance as this dog is adept at cutting across me and wrong footing me during incidents, I want to look cool and unruffled, not managed it so far..As a result of Sonny's reaction Sally suggests that we jog with both dogs on lead so he gets used to dogs running around him, this is successful and there is no reaction.

Important we end it there, on a good note.  Next week same again but this time Rocky will have his ball.  Sonny will be told to sit and be given treats whilst Rocky runs around him.  Sonny is very reactive to any dog exhibiting this kind of excitement and it currently sends him into a lather.  But we have to get him used to it because this is normal dog behaviour.

By the time this is over I shall feel like I have a masters degree in dog ownership,. there is just so much to it.  To all those owners who are lucky enough to have a non reactive dog, I envy you, but I also think you might be missing out on an amazing journey, talk to you soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment