Saturday 9 October 2010

Visitors and advertising

Last weekend we had a visit from the brother in law, being a laid back kind of chap he cycled over and duly wandered in the front door.  We weren't expecting him!  Taking charge I insisted (in the nicest possible way) that he went out and that Sonny and I met him on the doorstep for a walk!  We sauntered down the road and I explained the training programme.  You will recall that Sally's advice is that all visitors go through this ritual with him so that he learns that visitors mean walk, so therefore something nice will happen!  We walk back into the house having bonded as a pack! Later on my partner said that whatever I had said to him had really made an impact, explaining he was frightened so the very worst thing you can do to a fearful dog is invade his space. Apparently he had said that in the past he (and others in our family) could never understand why we persisted with Sonny and didn't just get rid of him if he was that bad.  Somehow the reframing of his behaviour as being a fearful boy had really helped him to understand why we bother.

Anyway I can report the walk worked and Sonny laid down and didn't bother at all,

It did help that my brother in law was not fearful.  An energy that makes Sonny much more likely to attack.

I've been thinking a lot about how to help people understand what Sonny needs.  I came across a company that would produce customised reflective dog vest and this is the result.  He looks really cute in it and it makes it clear to the world the kind of dog he is, if they decide to pet him anyway, they have been warned!  Incidentally I have also acquired a matching hoodie so that I can stay warm and also advertise my own trainee owner status.  Hopefully it will spark people's curiosity and make them want to find out what we are up to.



No comments:

Post a Comment