Monday 14 March 2011

Well I never

We went off today for our usual dog walk.  It was the first real opportunity to test out new found skills on passing by other dogs  We found ourselves with plenty to practice on and our first chance was with Collin the Collie, Sonny's nemesis!  Sonny has always reacted very intensely to this particular dog.  Being a collie, his body language is quite intimidating as he tends to adopt a 'stalking' pose whenever he sees Sonny.  Fortunately his owner is very affable and always jokes he doesn't know if Sonny just doesn't like him or, his dog.

So today, there we are walking along a narrow path and there is Colin.  Quick as a flash I began my zigzagging behaviour as I realised that if I just used the triangle this time, Sonny would have too much time to fixate.  Off we go up and down up and down, Sonny is wrong-footed, somewhat perturbed that I am actually walking TOWARDS this dog rather than away from it as I normally would.  That I am not pulling him on the lead, yanking him or anything else ineffectual I might have tried in the past.  Sonny's is breathing hard, I can tell he's trying his best to hold it together....and HE DOES!  We are past the dog with no lunging, barking, yelping behaviour, what a result!!!  I am elated and my partner and I do a high five.  This feels like a massive shift for us all.

We move on meeting various other dogs in different circumstances, and I am walking tall, head up, striding forward.  For the first time in 10 YEARS I am outside with my dog, feeling happy, confident and not living in fear of what might come around the corner.

I am by no means saying that Sonny is cured, I am sure we will continue to have good and bad times, but we are finally on our way and that is the main thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment