Tuesday 10 August 2010

Ducks, dogs and dappy owners

This week we have had another training session with Sally. This time she suggested we took Sonny to a local beauty spot where we were guaranteed to meet other four leggeds and she could see him in action.

It has to be said that despite many a previous trainer, NONE has ever offered to do this with us. The first thing she notices is that, as we know, his body language is completely different when he is outside the home. He is not of course the only one. I as his erstwhile owner am feeling like a coiled spring. I am in the midst of all the things I know he can react to and which I studiously try therefore to avoid. Other dogs, oh no, small children, oh dear, no, no and narrow paths where you can't avoid whatever approaches you, no, no, no. However Sally is confident (fortunate). I allow my partner to take the lead, because it will not help Sonny for his fearful owner to be guiding him at this point.

We go for a brief walk around the lake. I am busting for the loo (probably nerves), as I return I am instructed not to make eye contact with Sonny. If he is tracking situations and looking fearful, it is important not to react, otherwise I am 'following his lead'. This is not of course a good thing for a fearful dog.

The most useful bit about having the trainer with us is that she can observe all the little things that we can't because we are usually so busy trying to deal with the dog. For instance, she says that he is constantly looking at me. I am not aware of this as I tend to be looking ahead of me otherwise I could end up down a pothole! However what this tells us is that despite my efforts to 'detach' from my beloved dog and try to form a more business like relationship with him, he is not yet fooled. He wants to check me out and is busy watching my body language all the time. This is not healthy.

We stop at a park bench and Sally takes him off for a jaunt on his own, the anxiety in his eyes is palpable and we can see that he spends at least half his time, whilst within eye-shot, looking for us. However after a bit we can't see him and we are left wondering what he is doing and how he is getting on. This is weird as I don't normally give anyone else responsibility for my dog, for obvious reasons. Then she returns, saying that his concern for our whereabouts was actually a helpful thing because he meant he was less sensitive to other dogs coming his way.

She approaches some people with two big white fluffy dogs (Samoi's) asking them if their dogs are reactive. They happen to be feeding their dogs ice cream at the time, but let's gloss over that for the moment. No they say and very kindly agree to allow her to circle the dogs with Sonny. At the same time there is a staffy/pitbull type mix with 'not a clue' owners who have him on a flexi lead. The dog is out in front and definitely in charge, more so because one of the owners appears to be drunk! Maybe not the best example for Sonny to be exposed to right now. However we are able to observe him from a distance as he circles the other white dogs with Sally. One of the dogs seems quite interested but is very unreactive to him. She is able to get reasonably close to both dogs. Sonny is muzzled and on lead. No reaction. She returns.

We do one more circuit of the lake, this time I am advised that we can use Sonny's fixation with me to our advantage. If he reacts badly to anything and lunges, then I am to walk off immediately. This reinforces to him that he will 'lose me' if he behaves badly. Interesting, I think I am getting this woman's drift.

We try it. The white fluffies are approaching, we tell him to sit, I am standing with Sally. He lunges, immediately I walk off. This I am told was great, good timing on my part and Sonny was definitely perturbed that I disappeared. However, this is probably only a device that we can use temporarily.

Another thing she has noticed is that he is very tuned into my voice. So whilst on the other side of the lake I sneezed. He recognised me immediately and made haste to get to where he thought it was coming from. SO.. when I take him out
what I need to do is to talk to him a lot, telling him he is a good boy when he is showing the more relaxed chilled out body language. This reinforces to him that this is the emotion we want to see from him and that good thing will happen if he displays this behaviour to me. However, if he reacts to another dog or person, then I am to keep silent. This will let him know again that he 'loses' me if he displays the unwanted behaviour.

Finally, and I have not really yet got my head round this one. She feels that his behaviour is purely fear based and reactive. Because he has not displayed this behaviour with her, she feels HE CAN BE CURED!!!! Will I ever be able to let him off the lead again? Yes, she thinks so. This is all too much for me and I am about to blub very loudly in a public place, quietly I hold the tears back. The idea of Sonny running free and happy, his ears blowing in the wind is almost too much to bear to hope for. However, I think it's me as much as the dog that is going to need to work as I have had so many horrible experiences that I may need serious Valium and alcohol before I can chill out a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment