Wednesday 21 November 2012

Does a dog need a driving licence?

 https://www.dogmobile-online.com/Content/images/mobile.jpg

Sonny's condition continues to make his mobility increasingly difficult.  He has been collapsing more in the house although strangely seems to cope much better outside in the field at a run where he has more stimulus and motivation.  I had a long talk with my friend at Meadow Farm last Saturday and she has made me aware of a company that make wheeled cards for dogs  Dog MobileThe apparatus would have to be made to measure but if successful, it could give Sonny a whole new lease of life.

My main concern is his temperament and whether he will take to it, however he has surpassed all my expectations thus far so no doubt he may do so again.  There is no doubt that psychologically he is just as bright as ever, loves to run and chase the ball.  It is just his body which is failing him and he cannot understand why.  The times when I have to pick up the hind limbs which have become tangled or where he has slid into a sit which he cannot get up from are increasing.  He will also have occasional moments of being very steady.  It's all very weird.  We reassess him every day and adjust his levels of activity according to his needs.

I sometimes feel more like a carer than a dog owner.  I miss our long walks in the countryside, a great leveller both before and after work.  Maybe if I go ahead and order this thing we can take to the countryside again, how great would that be?  If I get it we can drop his hydrotherapy sessions down to twice a month (which will help the bank balance) but not to get rid of them completely as he needs to keep the strength in his front legs going.  I'm a bit worried that I'll pay out all this money only to find that he won't use it, but if I don't we know what the next step will be.  I wish I could ask Sonny what he would like me to do, it's at times like this you really wish you could talk to your dog, I don't know the ' Doglish ' for wheelchair cart so I guess we'll have to take the practical route and wait and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment