Wednesday 8 September 2010

Vets and TV men

It's been a busy week for Sonny.  Last Saturday we had our annual trip to the dreaded vets, never a pleasant experience for owner or dog in our case.  Unfortunately we were also due a visit from the Sky TV men to put in a new aerial, the very poor TV reception in deepest darkest rural England has meant weeks of watching CSI Miami (what is the point of that bloke in the sunglasses?) and serial episodes of The Hotel Inspector who, much as I love her, can get a bit tedious after a while and I began hearing the signature tune in my sleep!

Anyway I digress, we felt that two burly TV men on a mission to fit a satellite dish were not going to be best placed to go for a dog walk.  If you recall we are now under instruction to get all visitors to come on a quick walk around the block to help desensitise Sonny to their presence.  We somehow felt that the garage was going to be the best place for him in this instance, only this time the peanut butter was missing (see earlier post for rather unfortunate early  experiences with said food stuff)! 

Whilst the Sky Men were busy, Sonny and I headed off to the vets.  My plan:  arrive really early before too many dogs and people.  I leave him in the car and announce our arrival to reception.  The surgery area is nice and quiet, no dogs, good.  One man is quietly sat with what looks like a cat in a box on his lap, not a canine in sight.  It's going well so far.  I return with the boy, in the few minutes I am gone the reception area has exploded into action, the receptionist is pre-occupied with a phone call so not able to operate the scales and there are now two dogs in reception.  Sonny and I take the only hidey hole in the room next to a door.  He has already spied one of the dogs, which, although quite old and docile, is causing him to shake visibly.  He is not happy.  I sit myself and make him sit too, he's desperate to climb in my lap.  No Sonny you're not a cat, I don't let him.  He sits again, too scared to take a treat but at least he's behaving.  

Within seconds the nice young vet has called us in.  What is it with vets they never seem to know how to approach dogs who are nervous?  She crouches down beside him and gives him eye contact.  I suggest that she doesn't do that as he doesn't like it.  She leaves the room to consult a colleague about vaccinations, Sonny is desperate to vacate the area, he's heading for the door.  I gently guide him back and start walking him in circles, making him sit, give paw etc.  He is willing to do this and accepts a treat when just now he wouldn't.  This is good.  The vet returns and Sonny gives her a baleful look, people moving around him always make him nervous.  I hold his head and she gives him a jab, he doesn't flinch and immediately takes my treat.  Well done boy, he's never agreed to accept treats before in the vet's office.  Nor have I ever been prepared to take him there by myself, always asking my partner for backup in the past.  Further small signs of progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment